Thursday, October 2, 2014

SD Blaze Zaku Phantom - WIP 4

Mistakes, Mistakes and more Mistakes

In this post, we will look at the hands and the painting required for the backpack. The hands are simple enough with minor paint job like the rest of the kit. I'm beginning to feel that either this kit has little paint jobs to be done or I'm just too lazy to do so much painting.
 
Anyways, back to the hand. The parts which requires painting are the hands which are white when they are suppose to be in black and a small vent which will be painted yellow.
  
Comparison of painted and unpainted parts of the hand


After painting and panel lining of the hands, they are then top coated and assembled.
 
 
360° view of the hands after assembly
 
As mentioned before, the backpack will require the most paint job ever. First of, let me apologise for not taking photos of the parts before the painting. This part or the work has the most mistakes I've encountered during the entire build of this kit. Let's start with the missile pods for the kit since they are the smallest and easiest to paint. I made a mistake for the first pod. the first thing I did was color the missiles red. The black background was achieved by using normal panel line marker and Tamiya Accent (Black).
 
Now how and where did I make the mistake? I used the Tamiya Accent (Black) first instead of using the pen. I figured if the Tamiya Accent (Black) could fill the in-betweens then the pen can go in and finish off the job. This proved to be so wrong as the Tamiya Accent (Black) had a hard time drying and when I used the pen, the ink won't stick. In order to rectify the mistake, I had to clean the Tamiya Accent (Black) with Zippo. Once all colors are wiped away, the red was painted again and the pen was used to reach the places which it can go into and finish it off with the Tamiya Accent (Black).
 
Missile pods for the backpack
 
The next part I tackled was the fin/antenna on the backpack. This is the second easiest part to paint. All I have to do is paint a part black and the bottom red.
 

The easiest part for the entire backpack would be these pieces:


All I have to do is to paint it grey, panel line and top coat them. The next part I painted was the exhaust for the backpack. They are pretty straight forward but I did a mistake for this part too. Instead of using the Tamiya Accent (Black) to panel line the vents, I used the panel line pen for it. After finishing one of the vents, I noticed my mistake and was kicking myself for it. A minor mistake but is still a mistake nevertheless.


Next part are the 2 covers for the missile pods. Simple painting and panel lining to it. Just paint the end whites, wait for it to dry and panel line them. Nothing too hard about it.
 

The most part which requires the most work are these:
 
 
First thing I did was to mask off the rest of the body leaving only the top part unmasked. The masking process was easier than expected. After masking, I sprayed them Executive Grey from Anchor and left them to dry. Next step was to remove the mask and was glad to know that there was no paint spill. White was next color to go on followed by red.
 
White was hard because I had to paint it over a few times and the paint takes a long time dry. When I thought that the white had dried and started painting the 2nd layer, the paint will somehow strip the first layer and I had to start from scratch again. This is another mistake on my part. I did not leave the paint long enough for it to fully dry before painting another layer on it.
 
The red color was not too bad. All I had to do was be extra careful when painting near the other parts to make sure that the red does not get onto other parts. After all the colors were painted, they were  panel lined and top-coated.
 
The biggest mistake I made was forgetting to paint the red parts on the top. I thought I had finished all paint job and started putting together the kit. At this point, I thought it strange to have the parts all in grey color. So to double confirm I checked the images in the manual and to my horror, I forgot to paint the reds at the top. I had to dismantle the backpack, paint the red parts, panel line and top coated it again. In the photos above, I have rectified the problem. The photo below are how the parts look like when it is all grey:
 
Top coated the parts of the backpack and the head. Also how the top part of the backpack looks like all grey in color.
 
Once all mistakes are rectified, they are once again lined up to be ready to be re-assembled. The assembled backpack will be covered in the next posting.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...