Tuesday, January 19, 2016

D-Style Gustav - WIP 4

 To paint or not to paint?

With all the major paint work completed in WIP 3, there is only box which requires my attention. I kept this last because it has the most parts but I did not notice that it contains the least amount of paint job to be done.

First thing I did was to separate the parts into different groups to get a better idea on what paint to be used on which parts.

Parts being separated
 
The first group selected are the wheels for the shell. The tyres are painted black while the rims are left in the Orchid.
 
Painted tyres

The next group are the hidden 'wheels' for the platforms. They were test-fitted to determine if they can be seen if the platform was assembled. Since they cannot be seen, I decided to leave them as they are.

Hidden 'wheels' for the platforms

The next group are the...lets call them 'humps'. They are attached to the back of the shells. These just require some panel lining by the Sharpie Stained marker. There are a total of 8 pieces available but it only requires 7. There is one spare which I did not bother to panel line.

8 pieces of 'humps' panel lined
 
The next group to work on are the connectors. Panel line was done by using  the Sharpie Stained marker. The gold for the screw is realised by using the Monami Gold marker.
 
Connectors panel lined and detailed

The last group to work on are the platform base. Once again the trio; Monami Gold, Silver and Sharpie Stained marker; are called to work on the detailing.

Completed(?) work on the platform base

After completing all the details and panel lining, I wasn't very satisfied with the outcome. After some thoughts and looking over the parts a few times, I decided to paint the wheels gold and the track and background black.

New (left) and old (right) details

Satisfied that the new detailing looks much better, time to work on the other three bases.

Before...

....and after completing the detailing work for the base
 
Originally I decided to leave the bottom of the tracks unpainted because it will be on the surface...

 
...but I decided against it in case I were to display it on a glass shelf.
 
Fully painted tracks
 
With the tracks completed, I have officially finished all the detailing works for the Gustav. The only thing left to do (which I totally forgot about) are painting the pilots. I'm glad that the D-Style comes with pilots unlike Bandai.

Fiona (left) and Moonbay (right) waiting to be painted
 
The next post will be on painting the pilots and then it is on to the best part: the assembling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...