Sunday, October 11, 2015

Small scale gunpla - WIP 4

Too much arm rotation

Now that all the painting work has finished, the assembly process can start after all the parts have been panel lined. The main thing to watch out for are the right shoulder joint and the energy pipe at the leg which was glued back in Part 2. It would a shame for those parts to break again.

All parts waiting to be assembled
 
There is nothing complicated in assembling this kit. It is very straight forward build. After a few minutes (there were some issues assembling the body), you have the completed Zaku II:
 
Front and back view of the kit

Right and left view of the kit
 
I'm sad to announce that when I was assembling the right hand, the joint broke. So in order to take the picture of the completed Zaku II, I just plug the hand back into the joint and hope it stays there long enough for me to finish taking pictures. If your eyes are sharp, you can see the difference between the left and right hand.
 
Remember when this kit was first snap-fitted? Now is time to bring back the original version of the kit and compare it with the finished product:
 
Unpainted (left) vs painted (right)
 
The new color scheme looks better. The light green used was the Saga Green by DPI Anchor. This green has a slight metallic finish. When I first used it, I did not expect the green to be so light but the more I see it the more it grew on me and I love the contrast between this and the green on the body area.
 
For the articulation, it has a ball joint at the head for it to rotate 360°. There are also ball joints for the hands. The hands can also be moved 360°. When I did that for this kit, something interesting happened to it....
 
Rotating the arm
 
....the right arm broke off at the joint.
 
Battle damage Zaku?
 
I guess I have use CA for both arms and when it dries, I will leave it on the shelf and not touch it anymore. Better still, I might hunt for a small display case and leave it in there. Safe from accidental touching and breaking when/if I do spring cleaning.
 
That is it for the Zaku. I hope the Gyan does not have this issue when I'm assembling it. Overall, this is a nice kit to encourage small kids to get into scale modelling and also a good pratice kit for hand painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...