Tuesday, December 15, 2015

D-Style Gustav - WIP 2

Just keep trying, trying, trying

After some deep thought about the dilemma faced in WIP 1 and having a break from RG Exia again, I have decided to paint the shell and use both markers and paints to paint the details. I guess I will have to be extra careful when painting the details.

The first part I attacked was the pistons found on the shell.

Pistons to be painted gold and silver

I originally wanted to use the Pilot silver marker but later found out that the tip was too big to fit into the tiny slits. I could force the tip in but that will spoil the tip and throw away a perfectly working marker. In order to fit a tip into the slits, I would require a very fine tip marker or a soft tip marker. After searching in my marker bag, I found the right marker to be used.
Image taken from Monami website

At first I had a hard time getting the ink into the slits. If this could not fit into the slit, I would have to give up and leave the piston in red and just color the rest in gold. I did not want to give up until I had to so after a few tries and pushing the tip deeper, the ink managed to touch the piston and the rest is history.
 
I had to be extra careful while coloring the piston because I did not want to accidentally paint on the shell and later have to carefully remove the excess paint without removing the paint on the shell. After completing the pistons on the shell, I went to color the rest of the individual pistons using the same method.


All the pistons painted silver

After completing all the silver for the pistons, I decided I might as well add some silver on the details of the shell as well. After a good look and doing some image search for references, I ended up with this:

 First round of detailing done

I'm currently thinking of painting the beige color of the snail to another color. Originally I didn't want to repaint but I had to because of a big color difference at the front after removing the nub marks. I could have placed a sticker there but I figured repainting it would look better. Instead of gettign a new color, I will visit my paint supply to see what color I have and which will look best next to red.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...