Sunday, February 15, 2015

SD Epyon - WIP 3

 Red everywhere with a bit of black and gold in between
 
I have decided which section to paint the red, candy red and which section to use the transparent parts. First thing I wanted to do was to try the Candy Red from Anchor. Before using, I thought the Candy red will come out nice and shiny until I sprayed over the red parts. It looks more like clear red than the actual candy red color so I would need a base coat of silver, gold or chrome. I guess I will have to re-spray the parts with a chrome base coat and see the difference. I guess from now the paint will be known as clear red instead of candy red.
 
Parts of Epyon painted in Candy Red. 1st attempt


One thing I forgot to mention previously is that all the parts are matt finish. The usual finish for other companies are mainly gloss finish so when spraying the colors will come out nice and smooth. After looking at the parts, I've decided to keep the feet as it is and paint the other 3 clear red with the silver as a base color.
 
Parts skewered and ready for painting
 
There are only 3 pieces for clear red and the other pieces will be painted in a normal red. I just hope that once Epyon is assembled, we are able to see the different shades of red.

2nd attempt of Candy red
 
I think this is how the candy red should look like. The more I look at it, the more I like. This is achieved by first putting a chrome as the base color and then the candy red on top.

Shoulder armors
 
I'm using 3 different colors for the shoulder armors. 2 transparent pieces, 1 candy red and the other is normal red. Did a bit of detailing for the pieces as the pieces came in one color. The black and gold colors are painted on using Sharpie. Originally I plan to omit the gold color and just have that part in black. After painting, I looked at the parts and it was a bit bland with only red and black therefore I decided to have that portion painted in yellow.
 
How did it end up gold instead of yellow? Tried using Sharpie yellow but the red parts were too dark for it so I tried gold instead. Luckily the gold manage to cover the red parts and when it is dry, I added some black lining to the vents. Since gold was used, I also painted the dragon claws gold. Once the paint is dry I skewered them in preparation for top coating.
 
Glossy vs matt
 
All the parts above have been panel lined and detailed. The parts on the left side are waiting their turn to be skewered and to add a layer of Future. The parts on the right is waiting for their turn for the matt finish top coating. This will be the first time I'm doing both matt and gloss top coating on a kit. I figured I might as well start with a small 3rd party kit instead of trying it on an MG. I'm really curious to see how the different shades of red will turn out.
 
Left: Parts waiting for the matt top coat to dry
Right: Parts waiting for the Future Finish to dry
 
I experimented a little with the hand armor. From the picture above, the hand armor is a slightly darker shade of red than compared to the normal red. What I did was adding another layer of the clear red paint to the newly painted red part. I was curious to see what the outcome would be and I'm happy with it. With this clear red in my arsenal, I now have many ways to get different shades of red.  I'm now considering getting more clear colors from Anchor and see what happens when I do a mixture of them together. It all depends on creativity and the willingness to try new things. I think that is main the reason we do modelling anyways. To try new things and also to acquire new skills.
 
If I'm not mistaken, all the parts are already painted, panel lined and top coated. The only thing left to detail is the head, wings and weapons but I think I won't do those yet. I'm going to assemble this little fella and see how it all comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...